Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

SharePoint Online 2013 - Overview of site collections

A while ago I wrote a blog about the changed overview of site collections in Office 365. I really liked this in BPOS:



The users have a clear overview of all available site collections (and of course security trimmed). The current version of Office 365 has the Team Site link in the top navigation of the Office 365 portal. This can look like this:


I noticed that customers were confused about this site because they see SharePoint but not their portal. There is also no option to attach a custom master page (at least I did not find it). The Team Site link disappears from the moment you are out of the Office 365 portal.  

This really improved in the new version of Office 365 and SharePoint Online 2013. First of all the top navigation is available all the time. I also wrote a blog about the top navigation, check it out here.

Let's take a look at the Sites tab:


The first thing you will notice is the link new site. This allows users to create a new site. I am going to dedicate a separate blog to this, so keep watching my blog!

The second part shows two thumbnails, these are called Promoted Sites. The Office 365 administrator can configure them. Just click at Admin, SharePoint, User Profiles and Manage Promoted Sites:


I like that you can also use the Target Audience feature to only show a promoted link to a selection of users.

There are a couple more features at the Sites section. There is Sites you're following. The user can follow a site by clicking at the Follow icon or when the user is an owner of a site.

I was very curious what the criteria was for the Suggested sites to follow so I asked Microsoft. This is the reply I got:

"The "suggested sites to follow" is calculated based off of Search. The web part relies on search to suggest sites that your colleagues are following."

Pretty cool feature!

I have to admit that Microsoft really listened to the feedback from customers and the community. It's user friendly and there is a great balance between self service configuration and administrator configuration. This is going to be the starting point for end users before browsing through a SharePoint portal.






0 replies:

Post a Comment