Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The things I love and hate about the Surface RT

I have never been an early adopter of new technologies, not because I did not wanted to but it was mostly a cost issue. It's just so damn expensive to keep up. I decided to put aside money for the Microsoft Surface RT tablet because I fell in love with the device since the first commercials, I know I am a sucker for those kind of adds.

I would like to share some of my thoughts about the tablet with you, the things I really love or hate. I am writing this article on the Surface so I am going to be blunt..I HATE the touch keyboard! I really really hate it and regret ever getting it. Why? I am awesome in typing fast and blind on a normal keyboard. This just doesn't work at the touch keyboard. I am typing like a parent..slow and letter by letter. I do like the option to remove the keyboard and click it back on again. That works really well.

I love the look and feel of the device. It feels nice in your hands and its easy to use for touch swiping and typing. I really love the option to fold out the back part so the RT can stand on a desk. That´s just brilliant.

I hate the camera. Its completely useless and just as bad as the iPad 2 camera, why didn't Microsoft put more effort in adding a quality camera?

I love the USB port! This is such a winner compared to the iPad. I can connect my mouse when I am using the Surface on a table. Another amazing advantage is attaching an external hard dive! This is great for long plane flights, just fill the HD with movies and tv shows. Time will fly by.

I hate that there is no MKV support. I have to buy an app for this. Lame! There is also no support for Silverlight and I cannot even install it. That is strange because it is a Microsoft product. I know SilverLight is being replaced by HTML5 but there are still some sites using SilverLight. That brings us to another thing I hate, there is no option to install any software but only apps. I really want to use other browsers such as FireFox or Chroome but this is not possible.

I love windows 8! It is a great OS and works smoothly and the live tiles are such a great feature. I also love Office 2013. Another winner compared to the iPad with its mediocre Office apps.

Overall I love the Surface RT, it is really an iPad killer!

3 replies:

Anonymous said...

I share similar sentiments!
(Loryan)

Anonymous said...

Surface RT freezes and lags like mother****ing hell! (Sorry!)

Unknown said...

I don't have that happening a lot. I did buy the type cover. It is a lot better! I can actually type like a normal person.

Post a Comment