Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Office 365 migration - SharePoint Online 2010 Master Pages

Introduction
One of our BPOS customers migrated to Office 365 today! This was pretty exciting because this was my  first BPOS to Office 365 migration.

I want to share my Office 365 migration experiences with the community. This article is dedicated to SharePoint Online 2010 master pages.


Look and Feel
This article only applies to SharePoint Online 2007 environments with a custom look and feel. After the migration to SharePoint Online 2010 the Visual Upgrade option is available. You can preview the new SharePoint 2010 look and feel. In most cases this will not look good at all. The reason for this is that your SP 2007 Master Page is missing SP 2010 components. I am not a designer so I don't have all the expertise to explain how to change this. I did find this site:

http://blog.symprogress.com/2010/06/sharepoint-2010-adding-ribbon-to-moss-2007-master/

I hope you are able to use those instructions to upgrade your SP 2007 Master Page to SP 2010.

My advise is to create the SP 2010 master page before the Office 365 migration. Create a Office 365 trial or use an existing SP 2010 environment to create the master page.

Search
One of the greatest improvements in SharePoint Online 2010 is the new search center and the ability to search over multiple site collections. The standard search master page does not work well with the top navigation. You should check the following post to create a new search master page.

Keep an eye out for my blog the coming weeks because more migrations are coming!

4 replies:

Carl House said...

I have recently got in touch with SharePoint and for that this is something new to learn on today. I will keep in mind to create the master page before while migrating to Office 365.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your reply Carl :-) I really think that is a good idea, that will save you time and the customer has the appropriate MP a lot faster :)

William Moore said...

Some noticeable difference that I came across are worth to mention:

Larger mailbox: 25 GB instead of 7 GB Deleted Items folder: Messages remain in your Deleted Items folder for 30 days and are then automatically deleted.

(Explanation: When you click Delete on a message, or when you respond to a calendar invitation, it is automatically placed in your Deleted Items folder. Thirty days later, the message will be removed from your Deleted Items folder. If you're likely to want the message longer than 30 days, you should keep it in your Inbox or another folder instead of clicking Delete.)

Ability to send huge amounts of mail: Limits are different
Service management: Provided by Microsoft as a cloud-based service, instead of by Cornell. Office 365 complies with Cornell's contractual requirements for email and calendar.

Software Development Company India said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences Jasper. Try the latest version and its much better than you are using.

Post a Comment