Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

SharePoint 2010 - Permissions tips and tricks

I have a couple more interesting tips for working with SharePoint permissions. There are two out-of-the-box solutions that can help you.

  1. Check permissions
  2. Show unique secured content
Check permissions
This option will show the permissions of a user within a site. To use this go to Site Actions and Site Permissions and click on the Check Permissions icon. Fill the name of the desired user and click on Check Now:

















You see the permissions of the user. It would have been nice if you also could have seen the lists, libraries and items. I also would have loved to see this for the whole site collection! But at least it is an improvement to MOSS 2007.

Show unique secured content
This option can show you content (list, libraries or items) that have unique permissions. To use this go to Site Actions and Site Permissions and click on the Show me unique secured content hyperlink:

















You can see the lists (Project voortgang) and libraries (Planning) with unique permissions. By clicking on manage permissions you will see these permissions and are able to change them.

While I always advice not to change permissions on items, it can get difficult to manage, you can view the items with different permissions then the other documents in the library. Just click on view exceptions:








You get a nice overview of all items with unique permissions.

I hope this will help you in your life as SharePoint Site administrator :-)

0 replies:

Post a Comment